What We Do
The Mary Therese Rose Fund allows children to "reclaim the joys of childhood". There are many children with disabilities that require certain needs to be able to make life even more of a pleasure. The fund pays for such expenses that insurance does not cover. This includes hearing aids, walkers, wheel chairs, braces, and even therapeutic activities such as therapeutic horseback riding. Just as Mary was able to enjoy her life to the fullest and have a memorable childhood despite her limitations, the fund's mission is to assist in enabling special needs children to reach this goal.
The Mary Therese Rose Fund assists children from the Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, New Jersey. It is with great pleasure that such children could cherish their valuable childhoods and be able to flourish in development.
The Mary Therese Rose Fund wants you to BE A STAR
IT'S EASY! and IT'S FUN - - - Saturday Mornings in Ringwood/Ridgewood, NJ - - - Upcoming Schedule
DANCE - Join Instructor Shannon O'Donnell (PT) for a creative movement class, including ribbon dance and an introduction to ballet.
MOMMY AND ME YOGA Join Instructor Carla Ferreri (OT) for mommy or daddy or sibling and me yoga. Wear comfortable clothing.
SPORTS DRILLS - - Join Instructor Mary Ko (PT) for an introduction to various sports. Learning basic techniques for soccer, baseball, and other interactive games.
ARTS AND CRAFTS - Join Teacher Michelle Hans for drawing, beading, and tons of different crafts
- Small group instruction.
- One high impact and one low impact class offered each week (e.g., dance and yoga or arts/crafts and sports)
- Classes are held every Saturday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am in Ridgewood, NJ.
- Each class is approximately 45 minutes.
- Required equipment provided.
- Class aides for one to one assistance when needed.
- All classes formulated to the appropriate age and skill levels.
- Demonstrations of class activities, including a dance recital, will be presented at the annual fall fund raising dinner.
- Who is the program for? All Valley Hospital Child Development Center kids..
- What is the goal? To provide an environment where our special needs kids can just be kids and have fun. They are supervised by qualified therapists and teachers.
- How are classes scheduled? There are two classes every saturday; so each of the 4 classes will be every other week.
- How many classes can we sign up for? 1 or 4 -- it's up to you!
- How many aides will be in each class? We hope to have a combination of one-on-one aides for those who need it, plus enough teacher assistants to ensure every child gets the help they need to fully participate.
- Who are the aides? We can't make this happen without volunteer aides for the kids! We need parents, siblings, friends, therapists - even high school students looking for community service hours.
Meet our Staff
- Shannon O'Donnell - Physical Therapist for 11 years and formerly with the Valley Hospital Child Development Center. Presently she is an early intervention therapist.
- Mary Ko - Physical Therapist for 5 years at Hackensack Medical Center. Mary recently earner her doctorate.
- Carla Ferreri - Occupational Therapist for 20 years and yoga instructor for 15 years. Carla is certified in the hatha yoga technique.
- Michelle Hans - Former Kindergarten Teacher with degrees in early childhood education and psychology.
Mary's Closet is an exciting new program that offers families the opportunity to borrow used equipment. Mary's Closet will provide access to special needs equipment for temporary use to those children who are part of the Mary Therese Rose Fund. This program is funded solely by the gracious support of the Foundation. By working together, Mary's Closet fosters a connection between those who need equipment and those who generously donate it.
For further information, please contact: MarysClosetMTRF@yahoo.com
NOTE: Please review the liability contract for using Mary's Closet.